Growing-up my favorite cookie was always peanut butter kisses. I always loved having the job of putting the kisses into the cookies right out of the oven. Because it was the only cookie that my mom would allow me to touch right out of the oven. It’s funny how something so simple lives on as a childhood joy.
When I learned that I was gluten-free, cookies were definitely on my mind in the first few hours as I knew I was going to have to try remaking all my favorites. Well, here is my favorite cookie from childhood and it’s officially gluten-free! I did want to mention that I decided to use dark chocolate kisses for the fact that one: dark chocolate is better for you and two it added something new to the gluten-free cookie.
I will say that I have shared them with my non gluten-free friends and besides being a bit more chewy (which I like) they taste almost exactly the same. Give them a try and let me know how you enjoy them!
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 36 dark chocolate kisses
- First, cream together butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar in a bowl and use a hand mixer to whip ingredients until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs one at a time until combined.
- Then, add gluten-free flour (w/ xanthin gum if not in flour already), baking soda and salt. Mix into the butter mixture until combined.
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon baking mat. Scoop tablespoons of dough onto prepared baking sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes. Un-wrap chocolate kisses while dough is cooking in the oven. Be quick you only have around 8 minutes!
- Finally, the fun part! Place a chocolate kiss on each cookie immediately after removing cookies from the oven. Cool 5 minutes on the baking sheet until moving to a cooling rack. Then share kisses with friends and family!